Four Mile Creek Amusement Park

In 1897, Jacob Lang and Christian Rabe purchased 13 acres of the Crowley apple orchard on the bank of Lake Erie, on the east side of Four Mile Creek, in the township of Lawrence Park. Here they built the elegant Grove House Park hotel that provided its guests with beautiful views of  the lake, with all the amenities of a first class hotel. Five years later, in 1902, Alfred Lang would inherit the hotel, after it was burnt to the ground.

Alfred Lang created Four Mile Creek Amusement Park in 1902. The park was a popular destination, it was the era of temperance and unlike their competitor Waldameer, the park allowed the consumption of alcohol beverages. Their Outdoor theater offered vaudeville and burlesques shows that were performed every afternoon and evening, except for Monday afternoons, and when they were available they would also show moving pictures. The Dance Hall was on the bank of Lake Erie, adjacent to Four Mile Creek, where patrons would enjoy the lake’s breezes while dancing and enjoying the view of the lake. Among the many rides at the park the roller coaster was the biggest attraction. The coaster was completely destroyed in the storm that precipitated the Mill Creek Flood of August 3, 1915, it was torn down and never rebuilt. Like Waldameer, the park enjoyed trolley service and its beach was an extra attraction though it never was as developed or popular as the peninsula of which Waldameer benefited from.

The park burnt to the ground in 1919 and was never rebuilt. Today the Lawrence Park Golf Club resides where the park once stood.

These Gentlemen are posing in a vehicle for an advertising campaign to attract visitors to Four Mile Creek Amusement Park
These Gentlemen are posing in a vehicle for an advertising campaign to attract visitors to Four Mile Creek Amusement Park.

Four Mile Creek Amusement Park Dance Hall
Four Mile Creek Amusement Park Dance Hall.

Four Mile Creek Amusement Park Outdoor Theater
Four Mile Creek Amusement Park Outdoor Theater.

Four Mile Creek Amusement Park Beach
Four Mile Creek Amusement Park Beach.

Four ladies are sitting on trolley tracks, at Four Mile Creek Amusement Park, that were damaged by the storm that precipitated the Mill Creek flood of August 3, 1915
Four ladies are sitting on trolley tracks, at Four Mile Creek Amusement Park, which was damaged by the storm that precipitated the Mill Creek flood of August 3, 1915.

The roller coaster at Four Mile Creek Amusement Park suffered so much damage in the storm of August 3, 1915, that it had to be torn down
The roller coaster at Four Mile Creek Amusement Park suffered so much damage in the storm of August 3, 1915, that it had to be torn down.

Comments